ARTIST ALLEY, PRIDE ALLEY, MAKERS MARKET, & AUTHORS LANE
Initial application deadline: Friday, March 4, 2022
Initial applicant communication of status by: Friday, March 24, 2022
Artist Alley is a curated section of the exhibit hall floor for Independent and mainstream comic creators, webcomic artists, professional writers/illustrators, and 2D artists. Everything being offered for sale must be the work of the creator(s) at the table and the creator must be present at the event.
Makers Market is a curated section inside of artist alley for creators that are primarily handcrafting products. Everything being offered for sale must be the work of the creator(s) at the table and the creator must be present at the event.
Authors Lane is a new section inside of our Artist Alley for authors. Our Author Table space is a curated section of tables located in a dedicated area of the show floor inside of Artist Alley for independent and mainstream fiction and nonfiction authors. If you’re a prose author, this is your place for you! Everything being offered for sale must be the work of the creator(s) at the table and the creator must be present at the event.
Creator Guests are published industry professionals formerly employed or currently working in mainstream comics, webcomics, writing/illustrating, and/or 2D art. Awesome Con offers complimentary tables to a number of such professionals each year. Everything being offered for sale must be the work of the creator(s) at the table and the creator must be present at the event.
If you have any questions on which space may be best for you, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before you apply, please read and understand the following.
- Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane is NOT first come, first served – rather, it is curated, with our creator participants carefully selected.
- Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane space is issued only to the creator listed on the application. Spaces are not transferable.
- This is a table request form. It is not a contract, and it does not guarantee space. All Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane space is limited, and acceptance in Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane in previous years does not guarantee acceptance this year.
- If accepted, you will be sent a link with payment details. You MUST make payment by the given deadline to reserve your space. Late payments will not be accepted. If payment is not received by this date, your table will be allotted to a creator on the waitlist.
- Individuals, as well as collectives or studios with multiple creators, may apply, but collectives/studios must identify each of their members within the application. Limit of 2 per table.
- Tables cannot be shared with any creator not listed within the application. You may not add additional artists to your table after your application has been approved.
- All creators, helpers, and collective/studio members must be 18-years-old or older.
- If you plan to share your table or exhibit with a collective/studio only ONE member should apply for an Artist Alley table. Multiple members should not apply. Multiple applications from the same collective/studio will not increase your chances of acceptance.
- Accepted creators will receive one Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane table. No creator will receive more than one table space, and no displays may extend across more than one table space. This applies to both individual artists and collectives/studios.
- PROXY SELLING IS NOT ALLOWED. Artists must appear all three days, and tables cannot be operated by resellers or art brokers. Artists must show their ID at registration before set up can begin, and this ID must match the name and information in your application. Anyone misrepresenting themselves or otherwise engaging in proxy selling risks being removed from Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane and banned from future events.
- Accepted creators are expected to be at their table during all open hours of Awesome Con.
- Tables do not include electricity, and electricity cannot be ordered in Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane.
- Wifi is not included, but both free and paid wifi options are available directly from the building.
- Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane tables come with two Artist Alley badges.
- Accepted creators may purchase 1 additional Artist Alley badge should they need it for an additional member of a studio and/or helpers. Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane badges allow entrance during set up hours before and after public hours each day.
- Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane tables must be staffed during all public hours by a minimum of one person.
- Should you not be part of the first round of Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane acceptances, you will automatically be waitlisted to be considered in the event any tables become available.
- Our Artist Alley is for indie creators, webcomic artists, professional writers, and illustrators – and everything sold must be the work of the creator(s) at the table. If you’re selling mass-produced items, other than books, or are otherwise a retailer or publisher, you won’t be approved for Artist Alley and should purchase a booth to exhibit. If you have questions about this, please email email@example.com.
- Our Makers Market is for artists and crafters whose merchandise is handmade – and everything sold must be the work of the creator (s) at the table. If you’re selling mass-produced items or are otherwise a retailer, you won’t be approved for Makers Market and should purchase a booth to exhibit. If you have questions about this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We want to celebrate fans of comics, anime, and manga and their artistry, and we encourage original prints, comics, etc, but mass-produced fan works or fan works that use or are based on licensed, copyrighted material (including character art, background art, logos, etc) fall under our bootleg policy and are prohibited. Do not create buttons, pins, bags, keychains, T-Shirts, etc. with official art or any art that isn’t yours. Don’t trace, copy, or place Photoshop filters over someone else’s work and call it your own. If you display fanart which doesn’t follow this guide, you may be asked to remove them from display by the Awesome Con team or risk being removed from Artist Alley without refund.
PROXY SELLING IS NOT ALLOWED
Artists must appear all three days at Awesome Con, and resellers or art brokers cannot operate tables. Artists must show their ID at registration before set up can begin, and this ID must match the name and information in your application. Any exceptions must be requested in writing as part of your Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane application. Anyone misrepresenting themselves or otherwise engaging in proxy selling risks being removed from Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane and banned from future events.
ARTIST ALLEY/MAKERS MARKET/AUTHORS LANE FAN ARTS AND FAN CRAFTS
We encourage original prints, crafts, comics, etc, but please read this policy to assure your table follows our guidelines. Should a staff member or publisher representative ask you to remove any item from display and sale, you must do so immediately. Failure to follow this policy puts you at risk of being removed from the event without refund, restricted from future editions of Awesome Con, and in some cases, criminal fines and prosecution.
- You are allowed to exhibit in Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane with both art featuring characters of your own creation, as well as fan art and fan crafts based on comics, anime, manga, and pop culture series. We define “fan art and fan crafts” as original work you have created based on licensed, copyrighted material and characters.
- The sale of any item which reproduces official artwork is not allowed. You cannot use official poster art, key art, screenshots, logos, or other materials you did not draw yourself. This includes making buttons, pins, bags, keychains, etc. with official art.
- The sale of any item which reproduces the artwork of other fans is not allowed. For example, you cannot copy another artist’s work from DeviantArt or similar sites and call it your own, and you cannot use this artwork as the basis for other fanart or fan crafts. Do not trace, copy, or place Photoshop filters over any art you didn’t create. The alteration or modification of an existing work is not considered an original work.
- The original creator of the fan art must be present at your Artist Alley/Maker table. Booth sharing and collectives are allowed, providing each artist is at Awesome Con.
- 3rd party dealers cannot sell the work of fan artists.
- Mass-produced fan art and fan crafts are not allowed. While artists are allowed to sell buttons, pins, bookmarks, keychains, and apparel, all must be limited in nature. Mass-produced fan art and fan crafts may be considered bootleg merchandise and subject to removal.
Displays in Artist Alley, Makers Market, and Authors Lane must adhere to the following guidelines.
- Tables may not be set up like a booth. If more space is needed you may consider purchasing a 10×10 exhibitor booth. Please email email@example.com for more information.
- Backdrops, print walls, banners, and displays are not to exceed 10’ from the floor.
- Displays on top of tables are not to exceed 4’ from the tabletop. Such displays must be stable and secured to the table by means not damaging the table.
- No display is allowed in front of tables or to extend into any aisle.
- No display may infringe upon its neighboring space, including but not limited to outward side-facing displays, support brackets, extension poles, etc.
- Displays are subject to staff discretion. If any display is deemed unsafe, the artist must adjust the display to meet staff recommendations.
- Additional tables may not be added to Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane spaces.
- Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane tables may not be moved, pushed out, pushed back, or otherwise rearranged. If you require more space, we suggest you upgrade to an exhibitor booth space.
- Areas directly behind tables may not have any displays blocking the tables next to them and walkways between and behind tables must be accessible at all times.
- Luggage must be placed beneath the table and cannot be placed in front, behind, or beside the table.
- If an Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane vendor takes a chair from another artist without permission, the Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane vendor risks being charged for the chair or being removed from Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane.
- All work displayed must be that of the creator(s) purchasing the space, plagiarized works or the unauthorized use of copyrighted works may result in the forfeit of your table space without refund and potential banning from future events.
- Adult themed materials are allowed but must be tastefully displayed and cannot be accessed by or sold to anyone under 18.
- No rolling racks, shelving or other display items will be allowed behind or next to Artist Alley/Makers Market/Authors Lane tables.
Pride Alley is a dedicated area in Artist Alley for LGBTQ artists. When completing your application, please be sure to select Pride Alley if you would like to be placed in this area. Space is limited.
Artist Alley tables are reserved for comic artists, illustrators, web comic creators, writers and other 2D style artists. Merchandise must be primarily 2D and the artist must be present during all the days of the event. Space is curated, you must include a website with a portfolio that accurately represents your merchandise to be considered for an Artist Alley table.
Makers Market tables are located in a dedicated area of the show floor inside of Artist Alley. Maker tables are reserved for artists to display or sell their handcrafted merchandise. The majority of merchandise must be handmade or handcrafted and the artist must be present during all the days of the event. Space is curated, you must include a website with a portfolio that accurately represents your merchandise to be considered for space in Makers Market.
Artist Alley tables are reserved for authors of fiction and non-fiction works that they have created. Merchandise must be primarily 2D and the author must be present during all the days of the event. Space is curated, you must include a website with a portfolio that accurately represents your merchandise to be considered for a table.
ARTIST ALLEY, PRIDE ALLEY, MAKERS MARKET, & AUTHOR LANE TABLES INCLUDE
- One (1) 8×2 foot draped table
- Company Sign
- Two (2) exhibitor badges
Corner Table ($450)
- Two (2) 6×2” draped tables configured in an “L” shape
- Company Sign
- Two (2) exhibitor badges
Electricity is not available and cannot be purchased in Artist Alley, Makers Market, or Author Lane.