Costumes spanning the worlds of comics, movies, television, anime, manga, musicals, books, and games are all eligible for entry – as well as original characters inspired by these themes. Please note costumes must comply with Awesome Con’s Cosplay and Weapons Policies.
The contest will take place in the evening of Saturday, April 27th.
All contestants will be judged on their quality of costume and stage presence. All contestants will go on stage individually (or together if part of a group), exhibit two to three poses as our emcee reads the entrant’s costume description, and then exit. No speaking or individualization of music is allowed. ALL COSTUME CONTEST ENTRANTS MUST PRE-REGISTER. THERE IS NO ONSITE REGISTRATION. THE REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS APRIL 2.
The competition is split into three categories:
- Beginner (anyone who has never won a major costume contest award)
- Intermediate (anyone who has won between one and three major awards)
- Advanced (anyone who has won four or more major awards)
You are welcome to compete at a higher level should you wish to do so. Professional costumers may only compete at the Advanced level. If entering as a group, your category is determined by the most experienced member of your group. (Example: You have three people in your group, and two are in the Beginner category and one is in the Intermediate category. You will compete at the Intermediate level.)
Contestants must be 11 years of age or older to compete. Contestants under 11 may enter our costume parade in Awesome Con Jr. (More information available soon.)
Any costume is eligible to compete on stage, but only costumes created by hand are eligible for Craftsmanship awards – with Craftsmanship judging taking place prior to walking on stage. If you are invited to take part in Craftsmanship judging, you will be given a time to check in earlier on April 27, during which time our judges will meet with you to review your costume.
All contestants must arrive at our Main Stage at least one hour before our contest begins.
All Costume Contest Competitors must be Awesome Con attendees, and badges will be checked before competing.
Here are some other things to keep in mind!
- Don’t jump off the stage. And the audience is not allowed to run up to the stage.
- Don’t toss anything into the audience. Don’t throw anything from the stage.
- There will be children in the audience. Keep your costume rating to that of a PG-13 film.
- You must be able to walk on/off stage and maneuver freely in your costume without assistance.
In addition to awesome swag, we’re excited to award $2,000 in cash prizes across our Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced categories as well as Best in Show!